The Heritage is a nonprofit corporation owned and operated by the San Francisco Ladies' Protection and Relief Society, one of Northern California's oldest philanthropic institutions. Founded in 1853 to assist women and children left homeless in the wake of the gold rush, the organization has consistently maintained a mission of dedicated service to the community. Over the years we have been an orphanage, a home for elderly women, and a convalescent home for women and children. We have been a life care retirement community since 1957.
The land The Heritage sits on was part of the 1915 World's Fair. After the fair's closure, a generous benefactor donated the (then empty) block to The San Francisco Ladies' Protection Society. California's first woman architect, Julia Morgan was hired to design the building, which was completed in 1925. The building has been lovingly maintained and upgraded since then.